Mini Pita Pizza
When my children were young and we had to make a big change to how we ate, I never wanted them to feel like they were missing out or weren’t allowed certain foods. I was taught by our dietician how to rather help them make better food choices. Learning how to make choices rather than feel deprived helps to develop a healthy relationship with food which is so important to develop and nurture.
What kid doesn’t love pizza? So I would occasionally use wholewheat mini pita breads, my homemade basic tomato sauce (low sugar) and load it with their fav veggie toppings. Two little pizzas is less than one slice of a store bought pizza and to be honest more delicious too! Having the basic tomato sauce in the fridge made these quick and easy to make.
Great for party snacks and lunchboxes too
If you don't know about our food journey (it's been interesting) you can read about it in the link Our Food Story (click here)
Mini Pita Pizza
- wholewheat mini pita bread
- basic tomato sauce (recipe here)
- cheese (I use dairy free cheese)
- veggies for topping (e.g. mushrooms, olives, red onions, peppers etc)
- dried oregano
- finely chopped fresh herbs or baby spinach
- Preheat your oven to 180 C
- Place your wholewheat mini pita breads on an oven tray and spread a dollop of the basic tomato sauce on top. Using our homemade tomato sauce means you will lower the sugar and salt content.
- Sprinkle with a little of your choice of cheese. I use plant based/dairy free cheese which works fine for these as they don't cook for long.
- Top with your choice of veggies. Tip - load more veg than cheese. Sprinkle with some dried oregano
- Bake in the oven for 5-10 minutes to warm through and slightly brown on the edges. Sprinkle with fresh finely chopped herbs or finely chopped baby spinach leaves for an extra green boost.